These simple wooden sticks with ribs provide both an auditory and tactile sensory experience. They can be played by rubbing them together or gently hitting them together. Monitor children around other instruments and people, as it can hurt to get hit by rhythm sticks! Here are a few suggestions for using rhythm sticks:
1. Encourage children to play the sticks to the beat of a song. Try a fast paced song - then a slower one.
2. Ask the child if they can play LOUD - then soft.
3. Ask the child to play high - then low.
4. To encourage interaction, hold your sticks in front of the child and ask them to play their sticks on yours. Move your sticks higher or lower and encourage them to follow.
5. Play your sticks fast - then ask the child to play the opposite! Repeat for loud - soft and high - low.